Our retail store is in need of a sales associate. This is a full-time position with benefits.
Our ideal candidate has several years hands-on experience in lighting and power distribution for theatre, events, film, tv, or photography and would be able to answer simple technical questions. Our customers often come to us for advice and are looking for recommendations for their particular project. If this fits your skills and piques your interest, please keep reading.
This position is full-time, Monday through Friday. Our work hours are 8:30am-5pm.
About the position:
Our retail store has an inventory of expendable items that customers come to purchase, so you would need to be able to help customers in face-to-face transactions. The frequency of customers varies day by day; could be one customer, could be 10.
Most sales occur via email or the phone and are often for non-stock items. The sales associate must be able to juggle multiple customers, contact multiple vendors for quotes and provide the customer with sales quotes & invoices in a timely manner.
The sales associate must also be able to help reorder and restock items as needed, receive and send shipments, and put items back on the shelves.
Data entry maintenance of Quickbooks (updating prices and creating new items, for example) is also part of the duties.
This can be a technical position at times, with customers looking for guidance on various products and asking for recommendations and alternatives. We would expect you to learn the products we sell in detail to help answer those questions. A thirst for knowledge and dedication to research new equipment to keep up with latest trends is a must.
The ability to think on your feet, react to the situation you’re presented with, and look at the big picture and juggle multiple duties at once are all essential qualities to succeed in this position.
- 2 years of sales experience.
- 2-4 years of lighting experience in theatre, events, film, tv, or photography.
- Must be able to understand what the various type of lighting fixtures are used for, understand the difference between tungsten & daylight for example.
- Understand the basics of 3-point lighting.
- We wouldn’t expect you to know every clamp, stand, pin, and lamp in the store at first, but we do require that you have the desire and drive to learn more about parts you don’t know and the ability to research and find the answer until you do.
- Customer service abilities – must be able to speak clearly and concisely to customers in person and on the phone with a positive attitude.
- Ability to juggle multiple orders at once with accuracy.
- High attention to detail is a must.
- Have a sense of urgency for every order to maintain customer satisfaction.
- Computer skills must include Microsoft Office software and internet research.
- Good writing skills via emails to customers and vendors.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Basic math skills.
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs.
- Must be Vaccinated against Covid-19.
Nice to have, but not required:
- Understanding of Basic rigging.
- Understanding of power distribution, DMX, and networking.
- Understanding of grip equipment and how it’s used.
- Knowledge of Quickbooks Enterprise.
Job Type: Full-Time
Pay: $70,000 to 78,000 per year, DOE.
Benefits include Health, Dental, Life Insurance (after 2 months), a 401(k) with Employer Matching (after 6 months) and paid sick & vacation time.
Masks are required when interfacing with a customer in the store. Per Alameda county office guidelines, they can be removed when no customers present. DTC’s staff is fully vaccinated. We have a HEPA air purifier in the store to promote air circulation, acrylic “sneeze guard” screens around the sales counter to protect staff and customers.