What are DTC’s hours?
Our hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 am-5:00 pm.

Which payment methods do you accept?
We accept cash, check, all major credit cards, Google Pay, and Apple Pay.

I would like to rent some equipment with you.  What do I need to do to set up an account?
We ask that all new customers to DTC please fill out our New Customer Form to start an account with us.  If you are not affiliated with a business, we require a photo ID and address verification to be uploaded (such as a redacted bank statement, utility bill, or lease agreement).  If you are with a business, you will need to provide some business information and trade references.

For smaller rental orders, where the replacement value of the equipment is below our insurance threshold, we require a credit card to be placed on hold for the amount equal to the replacement value of the equipment for the duration of your rental.  Once the equipment is back at DTC, we will release the hold on your card.  A certificate of insurance is also accepted in lieu of a credit card hold.

For larger rental orders or vehicle rentals, you will also need to provide us with a certificate of insurance.  For more information, please see our COI Guidelines.

Can I place an order for pickup?
Yes, absolutely. Please call or email ahead with your sales or rentals request. Sales can email your invoice in advance, which will include a link to pay via credit card or bank transfer before pickup. Rentals will send over quotes via DocuSign for signature and credit card info.

Where do I pick up my order?
Please drive up to our yard (the red gate adjacent to our building), and pull up to our roll-up door. A member of our staff will assist you.

Can you help me load or unload my car?
Our staff is not allowed to load or unload your car for you. We will wheel or carry your items out to you.

Do you provide ratchet straps or tie-downs?
Customers should provide their own ratchet straps and tie-downs for loading their vehicles. However, we do have some available for rent or purchase if you need them.


Who do I call if I need emergency assistance?
During our office hours, please call our office and select option 1 for rentals or 2 for sales.
After hours, please call our office and select option 9. This will forward your call to a staff member who can assist you.

Do you deliver?
Yes. We deliver anywhere in the San Francisco Bay Area, and sometimes beyond. Our rates are based on distance traveled and the time of delivery. After-hours delivery & pickups will incur an additional hourly surcharge. Please see your rentals or sales associate for pricing information.

What size vehicle do I need to pick up the equipment?
Lighting and grip gear comes in a large range of sizes. Even a small order can fill up a car pretty quickly. For example, something as standard as a 4x Solid Floppy will barely fit in a car because its dimensions are 4′ x 4′.  If vehicle size is a concern, be sure to ask us about smaller options.

I have a complicated rig to set up. Can you help me?
Our talented team has strong lighting backgrounds and skills, and we love to problem-solve. That being said, we highly recommend that you hire a key grip to ensure the safety of your production crew and talent for any complicated rigs. Don’t know any grips? We can help you find one!

What’s the difference between HMI and tungsten?
The main difference between HMI and tungsten is that HMIs match the color temperature of daylight (5500deg K), and tungsten is much warmer (3200deg K).

How much power do I need?
Watts = Volts x Amps. If you’re using house power, take the wattage of your light(s) and divide by 110 volts (or 100 to give yourself a safety cushion) to figure how many amps you need. For example, a baby 1K is 1,000 watts. 1,000 watts divided by 100 volts equals 10 amps. House circuits are usually 15 or 20 amps each, so if you have a light that’s going to use all 20 amps (like an M18 HMI), make sure nothing else is plugged into that same circuit.

Do I need a generator?
Power needs vary based on how many lights you want to use at the same time, and how many circuits are available to you.  LEDs and Fluorescents are great because they require fewer amps to power, so you can use more of them on one 15 or 20 amp circuit.  But if you have a light that needs more than 20 amps, or that runs on 220/240 volts, then you need a generator.

I need a generator, but putt-putts are too loud. Do you have something quieter?
Yes. We have two types of Voltstack generators available for rent.  Voltstacks are actually large batteries we send out fully charged. They don’t run on gas, and they’re very quiet, so you can use them safely inside a building or when sound is an issue.  We currently have a 2K and a 5K Voltstack available for rent.


What do I need to rent?
For rentals, DTC requires standard production insurance.
For vehicle rentals, additional auto coverage is required.
5 and 10 ton trucks require a Class A Driver’s License.
Rental Requirements (PDF)

What are the truck dimensions?
This PDF includes dimensions for all of our vehicles available for rent.
DTC Truck Dimensions.pdf